- — Raw, Vegan
Calrose Rice, also known as the Japonica rice variety, originates from California where it was developed at the Rice Experiment Station. It is a medium-grain rice cultivar that becomes soft after cooking. The main difference between Calrose Rice and Jasmine Rice is that the latter one is long-grain, and when cooked, the grains separate. It also has a more intense aroma and flavor.
Calrose White Rice is sometimes called all-purpose rice as there are numerous dishes you can make with it. For instance, Fried Rice, Risotto, Stir Fry, different Rice Bowls with eggs, mushrooms, or chicken. Thanks to Calrose Rice Sticky texture, it works amazing for sushi. Besides, it has a very mild taste and perfectly soaks up herbs, spices, and sauces.
Let us dwell on Calrose Rice Medium Grain variety Nutrition Facts. First of all, it is worth mentioning that this cultivar is extremely low on fat. Furthermore, it is a great source of carbohydrates which will provide our body with energy. California Medium Grain Rice contains Manganese that is needed for normal brain and nerve function along with vital minerals like Copper, Niacin, Phosphorus, and Zinc.
How to Cook Calrose Rice
Open Pot Cooking Instructions:
Regardless of Calrose Rice uses, it has to be cooked first. Here are our recommendations for preparing this rice variety in an open pot:
- Rinse and drain the rice
- Combine 1 cup of Calrose Rice and 1 ½ cups of water in a saucepan
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and reduce to low
- Close the saucepan with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes (until water is fully absorbed)
- Remove the rice from heat and let it rest for 5-10 minutes
- Ready to serve!
Rice Cooker Instructions:
If you have an instant pot or a rice cooker, follow these instructions:
- Rinse and drain
- Place 1 cup of rice into your instant pot and pour 1 ½ cups of water
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes using HIGH mode
- Let it rest for 10 minutes and allow the pressure naturally release before you do it manually
- Voila! It’s ready.
Note: the cooking time and amount of water may slightly vary depending on your personal preferences and your instant pot.
You can shop Calrose Rice bulk to save time in the future, as it has a pretty long shelf life if stored properly. We recommend keeping this rice in an airtight container to ensure no moisture and dust can get inside, in a cool dry place.
Cinnamon Raisin Rice Pudding