January 11, 2021 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Dark Red Kidney Beans Indian Curry
This hearty comforting vegan kidney beans curry is mildly spiced, fragrant, and made from mostly simple, basic ingredients. It is easy to make, perfect for weeknight dinners.
Prep Time: 5 min (+8 hours for soaking) | Cook Time: 35 min | Total Time: 40 min | Servings: 4
- 2 cups dark red kidney beans, soaked overnight and cooked
- 14 oz can tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, freshly ground
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- cilantro or parsley for garnish
- long-grain rice, to serve
- Melt coconut oil in a pan over low heat, add cumin seeds and bay leaves, and cook for about a minute. Keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 min, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to turn golden. Then add the minced garlic, and continue cooking for an additional 2 min, stirring often so it doesn’t burn.
- Once the onions are caramelized add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder, coriander powder, black pepper, and salt, mix well. Cook for 10 min.
- Add cooked kidney beans and vegetable broth. Cover the lid and cook on medium heat for 15 min.
- Remove the lid, add 1 handful of finely chopped cilantro/parsley and mix well.
- Serve with rice.