March 19, 2021 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Cranberry Bean Pasta Fagioli
Introducing Cranberry Bean Pasta Fagioli, a hearty and flavorful Italian soup that combines tender cranberry beans with pasta for a comforting and nutritious meal.
Prep Time: 20 min (+ 8 hours for soaking) | Cook Time: 2 hours | Total Time: 2h 20 min | Servings: 4
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 4 canned whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 cup dried cranberry beans, soaked overnight
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups small pasta, such as shells or ditalini
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, and more for topping
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Himalayan pink salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a big pot on medium heat. Add garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, and rosemary. Cook for 2 min.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for 2 more min. Sprinkle with salt.
- Add beans, vegetable broth, and bay leaves. Cover and bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours until beans are tender.
- Uncover and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook for about 8 min until it’s slightly firm. Add kale and grated parmesan, cook for another 5-6 min until tender. If it’s too thick, add some water.
- Remove the bay leaves. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve it hot, garnished with fresh parsley and grated parmesan. Enjoy!
This recipe adapted from Food Network