December 01, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Cozy Autumn Black Bean Soup
The perfect black bean soup recipe! It’s healthy, easy, super flavorful, and comforting.
Prep Time: 10 min (+8 hours for soaking) | Cook Time: 50 min | Total Time: 1-hour | Servings: 4
- 2 cups dried black beans, soaked and rinsed
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground chili powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- for serving: chopped fresh cilantro or parsley and lime wedges
- Soak the beans overnight or about 8-12 hours. Drain and rinse.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until onions are translucent and starting to brown about 10 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pot, except the lime and parsley. Stir to make sure everything is combined. Bring mixture to a boil before reducing the heat to medium and letting the soup simmer for about 40 min, or until the beans are tender and creamy. Remove bay leaves.
- At this point, you can either keep the beans whole or puree using an immersion blender or traditional blender to your desired texture.
- Taste soup and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Spoon soup into bowls for serving and garnish with lime wedges and parsley.