August 02, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Basic Minestrone Soup for Busy Days
In the hustle and bustle of busy days, a hearty bowl of Minestrone soup can be a lifesaver. This basic Minestrone recipe is your quick and satisfying solution when time is of the essence.
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 35 min | Total Time: 50 min | Servings: 6
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/4 cup adzuki beans, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup chickpeas, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup dried small shell pasta
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and minced garlic to the pot. Sauté for about 3-4 min, until the onions become translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the chopped carrots and celery. Continue to cook for another 4-5 min, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the dried basil, dried oregano, and dried thyme to the pot. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the herbs and spices.
- Pour in the canned diced tomatoes, along with their juices. Add the bay leaf as well.
- Now, pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for approximately 15-20 min to allow the flavors to meld.
- Add the sliced zucchini, cooked adzuki beans, and cooked chickpeas to the simmering soup. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in the dried small shell pasta. Cook until the pasta is tender, which typically takes about 10-12 min.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Serve the hot and hearty Minestrone Soup, garnished with freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy this comforting and nutritious meal!
This recipe adapted from Life Made Sweeter