January 11, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Hearty Red Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes | 6 Servings
- 1 tsp coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 can tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red split lentils, soaked
- 1 cup spinach
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until they’re soft and fragrant, which takes a few minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery, cooking for another couple of minutes. Stir in the spices to coat the vegetables.
- Pour in the tomatoes and vegetable stock, then crank up the heat to bring the soup to a boil. Once it’s boiling, toss in the lentils, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 20-25 min until the carrots are tender.
- Turn off the heat and gently stir in the spinach. Your delicious soup is ready to enjoy!
This recipe slightly adapted from Occasionally Eggs