September 22, 2020 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Texas Style Quinoa Bean Chili
This Texas Style Quinoa Bean Chili made with a delicious blend of warming spices, packed full of healthy vegetables and plenty of savory flavor.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 40 min | Total Time: 1-hour | Servings: 6
- 3/4 cup organic black quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup organic small red chili beans
- 2 tbsp high heat oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, cored and finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, cored and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coarse Mediterranean sea salt
- 2 organic whole bay leaves
- 12 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- cilantro, lime juice, and sour cream for toppings
- Place dry beans in a large container and cover with cold water. Soak overnight. After the beans soak, drain and rinse them off.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add red onion, garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, jalapeño, soaked beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Add rinsed quinoa, diced tomatoes, corn kernels, tomato sauce, all spices, and salt. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lime juice. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!