September 22, 2020 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Texas Style Quinoa Bean Chili
This Texas Style Quinoa Bean Chili made with a delicious blend of warming spices, packed full of healthy vegetables and plenty of savory flavor.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 40 min | Total Time: 1-hour | Servings: 6
- 3/4 cup organic black quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup organic small red chili beans, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp high heat oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, cored and finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, cored and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coarse Mediterranean sea salt
- 2 organic whole bay leaves
- 12 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- cilantro, lime juice, and sour cream for toppings
- Place the dry beans in a big container and cover them with cold water. Let them soak overnight. Once they’ve soaked, drain and rinse them.
- In a large pot, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the red onion and garlic and cook until they become soft, which should take about 2 min.
- Now, toss in the bell pepper, jalapeño, the soaked beans, and vegetable broth. Bring everything to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and let it cook for about 20-25 min.
- Add the rinsed quinoa, diced tomatoes, corn kernels, tomato sauce, all the spices, and salt. Keep it simmering for another 15 min.
- Sprinkle some lime juice on top. If you like, you can garnish it with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy your meal!
This recipe adapted from Making Thyme For Health