December 20, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Traditional Holiday Vegan Fruitcake
Celebrate the holiday season with a delightful twist – a Traditional Vegan Fruitcake that’s bursting with rich flavors and wholesome ingredients.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 30 min (+8 hours for soaking) | Total Time: 50 min | Servings: 8
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 6 Medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup candied peel
- 1/4 cup rum (skip if vegan)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Begin by combining all the dried fruits in a large bowl. Add the rum and lemon juice, give it a good stir, then cover and let it sit overnight.
- The next day, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flax seeds with of water, and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, coconut flour, ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the butter mixture, along with the flax seed mixture and milk. Stir until just blended.
- Now, fold in the soaked dried fruits, along with any remaining liquid. Transfer the batter to the baking tin, using a spatula to make it even.
- Bake for 30 min, and your delicious fruitcake is ready to enjoy!
This recipe adapted from Domestic Gothess