May 27, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Traditional Apple Crisp
This classic Apple Crisp recipe is both wholesome and tasty. With delightful apples, a touch of cinnamon, and hearty oats, it’s the ideal dessert for the whole family to enjoy.
Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Total Time 50 minutes | 6 Servings
- 1/2 cup pastry flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
For the Apple filling:
- 4 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp pastry flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For serving (optional):
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce/chocolate glaze/fresh berries
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) baking dish or a similar-sized ovenproof dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, prepare the crumb topping. Combine the flour, oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and a dash of salt. Add the small pieces of unsalted butter and use a fork or your fingers to work the butter into the dry mixture until you have a crumbly texture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place your thinly sliced apples. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, flour, lemon juice, milk, coconut sugar, ground cinnamon, and a dash of salt. Pour this mixture over the apples and gently toss to coat the apple slices evenly.
- Transfer the apple mixture to your prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping mixture evenly over the apples.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 min or until the topping is golden brown, and the apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove the apple crisp from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
- You can serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of caramel sauce or chocolate glaze, fresh berries, and some walnuts if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious homemade Apple Crisp!
This recipe adapted from Tastes Better From Scratch