May 27, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Traditional Apple Crisp
This Old Fashioned Apple Crisp recipe is healthy and delicious: yummy apples, cinnamon, and oats make the perfect family dessert.
Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Total Time 50 minutes | 6 Servings
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the Apple filling:
- 3-4 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
For serving (optional):
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Caramel Sauce or Chocolate Glaze or Fresh Berries
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
For the topping:
- In a medium size bowl combine the crumb topping ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles small crumbs. Refrigerate while you prepare the apple filling.
For the Apple Filling:
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and flour until well blended. Add lemon juice, milk and stir well. Stir in coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour butter mixture over apples and toss to coat. Pour apple mixture into a baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and top is set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream, Fresh Berries, and Caramel Sauce or Chocolate Glaze.