August 12, 2022 · Written by Foodtolive Team
New York Style Whole Wheat Bagels
Discover how simple and healthy it can be to make your own Whole Wheat Bagels right at home. Enjoy the wholesome goodness of fresh-baked bagels for breakfast or anytime you crave a tasty treat.
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Total Time: ~ 2 hours | Servings: 8 bagels
Calories: 193 | Total Fat: 2.6g | Fiber: 7.4g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 6.2g
For bagel dough:
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup whole wheat bread flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For bagel boiling:
- 2-3 quarts of water
For bagel topping:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
- In a small bowl, whisk together warm water, yeast, and honey. Allow it to rest for 5 min.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat bread flour, all-purpose flour, oat flour, and salt. Pour in the yeast mixture and stir until just blended. Add the oil and knead the dough for 10 to 15 min until it becomes smooth. Alternatively, you can use a kneading machine for 8-10 min.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in a bowl. Cover it with a kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm spot for 60 to 90 min until the dough doubles in size.
- Once risen, transfer the dough to a work surface and divide it into 8 equal pieces. Shape each portion into a round ball.
- Poke a hole in the center of each dough ball and gently widen the hole to create the classic bagel shape. Repeat this step for all the dough balls. Cover the shaped bagels with a kitchen towel and let them rest for 10 to 15 min.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Carefully place 3 to 4 bagels into the simmering water at a time, depending on the pot’s size. Boil the bagels for 30-60 seconds on each side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the boiled bagels from the water and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the bagels with the egg wash and sprinkle them with Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Bake the bagels in the preheated oven for 20-25 min or until they turn a beautiful golden brown. Once done, transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy your homemade bagels!
This recipe adapted from Fit Diary