July 31, 2023 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Homemade Easy Rye Bread
This simple Rye Bread recipe combines the earthiness of dark rye flour with the subtle sweetness of molasses, a touch of rich cocoa powder, and the fragrant notes of coriander and caraway seeds. Get ready to enjoy a crusty, aromatic loaf with minimal effort.
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 50 min | Resting Time: 12 hour | Total Time: 13 hours | Servings: 1 loaf (12 slices)
Nutrition Facts (for 1 slice):
Calories: 150 | Total Fat: 1.5g | Sugars: 2g | Fiber: 5g | Protein: 6g
- 2 cups rye flour*
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dark rye flour, bread flour, salt, instant yeast, cocoa powder, coriander seeds, and caraway seeds. Mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the warm water with oil and molasses until dissolved.
- Pour the molasses mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a spoon or spatula until a sticky dough forms and all the flour is incorporated. Make sure there are no dry patches.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let it sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours. During this time, the dough will rise and develop flavor.
- After the resting period, preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C). Place a large, oven-safe pot with a lid (such as a Dutch oven) into the oven while it preheats. This will help create a crusty loaf.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Use the heels of your hands to push the dough away from you, then fold it back toward you, rotating it a quarter turn each time.
- Shape the dough into a round ball. You can do this on a piece of parchment paper. Use heat-resistant parchment paper.
- Make a few shallow cuts on the top using a sharp knife.
- Carefully remove the hot pot from the oven. Be careful as it will be very hot. Remove the lid.
- Use the parchment to lift the dough and place it in the pot. Be cautious and use oven mitts to handle the hot pot.
- Cover the pot with the lid and return it to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid and continue baking for an additional 20 minutes, or until the bread is deeply browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Once baked, carefully remove the bread from the pot and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing.
All types of rye flour will work for this recipe.
This recipe inspired by Angry Broccoli Recipes