Wild Rice with Spinach
What do you get when you top wild rice with spinach, avocado, orange, pomegranate and pumpkin seeds? This super-healthy dish! Well, it’s essentially a bowl filled to the brim with the freshest ingredients (and it’s about to become your new favorite lunch).
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 30 min | Total time: 40 min | 4 Servings
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups of water
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 orange, cut into segments
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Put the rice in a bowl, cover with cold water and swirl around with your hand, repeating this several times until the water runs clear.
- Soak rice in water for 2-3 hours. Drain.
- Place rice in a saucepan with three parts water to one part rice and stir once.
Bring to the boil.
- Once the liquid is boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the rice cool for 5 minutes and then toss it with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the spinach with the olive oil, wine vinegar and garlic.
- Combine spinach mixture with rice.
- Top with pomegranate seeds, orange slices, avocado slices, and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.