August 20, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Tomato Rice with Crispy Eggplant
Try our Tomato Rice with Crispy Eggplant recipe! t’s a delicious combination of tomato-flavored rice and crispy eggplant slices — a satisfying dish for all to enjoy.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 50 minutes | Total Time 1 hour | 4 Servings
- 2 eggplants
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Start by rinsing the eggplants. Cut off the stems and then halve them lengthwise. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt on them and set them aside.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, warm up 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Fry the eggplant halves, two at a time, flipping them every 30 sec or so, until they turn a rich golden brown.
- As you fry the eggplant, you might notice that they soak up the oil. Keep an eye on the pan, and if it starts looking dry, add a little more oil to maintain a thin layer at the bottom.
- Once the eggplant is nicely fried, remove it from the pan and place it on a baking sheet or in a baking dish.
- In the same frying pan, sauté garlic and onion over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Then, add the rice and tomato paste, stirring everything together. Cook for another minute, making sure to stir frequently. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Remove the mixture from the heat, transfer it to a bowl, and let it cool down.
- Spread the rice and onion mixture evenly over the fried eggplant pieces, gently pressing it down to make it stick.
- On top of each fried eggplant half, place three tomato slices. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over them.
- Transfer the eggplant into the preheated oven and bake for 25 min.
- Once it’s done baking, remove it from the oven, garnish with fresh parsley and/or coriander, and it’s ready to serve. Enjoy your delicious meal!
This recipe adapted from Craving Tasty