July 06, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie
Get ready to savor the goodness of Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie. It’s a cozy dish with veggies, tasty gravy, and creamy mashed potatoes that’s perfect for a satisfying meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 45 minutes | Total Time 55 minutes | Servings 6
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 tsp chili paprika
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Start by mincing the garlic and chopping onion. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for about 2-3 min until they become fragrant.
- While the garlic and onion are cooking, dice the carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Add them to the skillet with the sautéed garlic and onion.
- Season the vegetables with salt, dried thyme, chili paprika, and freshly cracked pepper. Sauté for another 5-7 min, or until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste and flour, ensuring that the vegetables are well coated.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and stir until the mixture thickens. This should take about 2-3 min.
- Add the cooked lentils and frozen peas to the skillet, stirring until everything is well combined. Cook for an additional 2-3 min.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and evenly spread the mashed potatoes on top of the lentil and vegetable mixture. You can use a fork to create a decorative pattern on the potato topping.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Once done, remove the vegetarian shepherd’s pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your hearty and delicious meal!
This recipe slightly adapted from Budget Bytes