February 16, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Buckwheat Kasha with Caramelized Mushrooms
Buckwheat Kasha is a naturally gluten-free traditional side dish with a wonderfully satisfying chewy texture and delicious nutty flavor!
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 30 min | Total Time: 40 min | Servings: 6
- 1 cup organic buckwheat kasha
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- Fresh celery, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Rinse buckwheat kasha 2 or 3 times in water; drain well.
- Bring 2 cups of broth to a boil in a pot.
- Add boiling broth to the buckwheat kasha. It’s important to add boiling broth. If started in cold broth, the buckwheat will be mushy.
- Add a generous pinch of salt. Turn the heat to low, place a lid on the pot, and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from heat. Cover with lid and allow to steam for an additional 5 minutes off the heat.
- Heat 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring constantly until fragrant and mushrooms are browned and caramelized. Take the time to well caramelize the onions and mushrooms.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until the garlic is fragrant. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add buckwheat. Heat through. Add fresh celery (or dill/parsley) and toss. Great as a side or main dish. Leftovers freeze well.