January 06, 2020 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Hearty French Green Lentil Stew
Bonjour, food lovers! Get ready to indulge in a bowl of warm and comforting goodness as we journey to the heart of France with our Hearty French Green Lentil Stew. This classic recipe is not only delicious but also a celebration of French culinary tradition. Join us as we discover the secrets to creating this satisfying and nutritious dish.
Prep Time: 15 min (+8 hours for soaking) | Cook Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 1 hour 15 min | Servings: 4
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup French green lentils, soaked
- 1/2 cup red lentils, soaked
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 sprig fresh thyme
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat a generous drizzle of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions to the pot and let them gently cook, covered, for approximately 15 min. Stir occasionally until the onions become tender and develop a rich caramelized color.
- Add the garlic and sauté until its aromatic fragrance fills the air, usually about 1 min.
- Incorporate all the remaining ingredients into the pot. Allow the mixture to simmer uncovered for approximately 30-45 min, or until the lentils have achieved the desired softness.
- Taste the stew and, if needed, make any adjustments to the seasonings.
- It’s time to savor your culinary creation! Enjoy your delicious meal!
This recipe adapted from Well and Full