June 09, 2022 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Extra Crispy Baked Onion Rings
If you love homestyle onion rings, this recipe is a must-try! These extra crispy baked onion rings are just as crunchy and delicious as the fried version. The recipe is surprisingly simple to make and never fails to satisfy.
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Total Time: 30 min | Servings: 12 bites
Calories: 284 | Total Fat: 14g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Protein: 5g
- 1 large sweet onion
- olive oil spray
For the dry mix:
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp salt
For the wet mix:
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Mix together the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Slice the onion to make rings that are about 3/4 of an inch wide. Carefully separate the rings from each other.
- One at a time, take each ring and dip it into the wet mix. Then dip it into the dry. Coat it well, but make sure to tap all the excess back into the bowl. Place the ring on the baking tray.
- When all the rings are coated, spray the rings with olive oil. Flip them over and spray the other side.
- Pop them into the oven. Check them after 10 mins and flip them over. Cook for an additional 5 mins or so.
- Serve the onion rings with your favorite dipping sauces for a delicious and healthy appetizer or use them as a burger topper to add an extra element.