September 20, 2021 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Parmesan and Herb Polenta Fries
Crispy on the outside, with a creamy inside, this healthy baked Parmesan Polenta Fries recipe is the perfect comfort food snack. Dipped in homemade marinara sauce, they won’t last long!
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 1 hour | Freezing Time: 30 min | Total Time: 1 hour 40 min | Servings: 4
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs (basil + oregano)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 450.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in salt and stir to dissolve, then turn heat to medium.
- While whisking, slowly and continuously pour the polenta into water.
- Once all of your polenta is in the water, continue whisking until it starts to thicken, about 2 min. Then turn the heat down to low and cover. Set a timer for 30 min and be sure to whisk the polenta every 5 minutes or so to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off heat and stir in butter.
- Immediately place cooked polenta in an 8×8-inch baking dish. Spread evenly to all corners of the dish. Place in the freezer for 30 min.
- Remove from the freezer. Cut your polenta into rectangular fry shapes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil and gently toss with clean hands to coat the polenta fries evenly.
- Add parmesan and dried herbs to your mixing bowl and gently toss again to coat.
- Space fries evenly on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in your preheated oven for 30 min.
- Let fries cool for a few minutes before removing them from the baking sheet. Enjoy warm with a side of marinara sauce.