December 20, 2022 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Homemade Cranberry Marshmallows
Learn how to make homemade marshmallows with our easy recipe. These corn syrup-free cranberry marshmallows are soft and pillowy, perfect for a chocolate covered bite or dropped in a cup of hot cocoa.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Chill Time: 6 hours | Total Time: 6 hours 40 min | Servings: 30 marshmallows
Calories: 38 | Total Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Sugar: 11g | Protein: 1g
- 2 tbsp gelatin
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cranberry powder*
- ⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp melted butter or vegetable oil
- ⅔ cups powdered sugar, for dusting
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder or tapioca starch or potato starch, for dusting
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9×9 inch pan with butter or vegetable oil. Combine arrowroot powder and powdered sugar in a bowl. Sprinkle the pan with powdered sugar/arrowroot mix.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer (or extra large mixing bowl and then use a handheld electric mixer) bloom the gelatin by adding in ½ cup cold water and all of the gelatin. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Stir together remaining water, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Clip candy thermometer to pan and heat until temperature reaches 238-240 degrees – the soft ball stage. Remove from heat immediately.
- Turn the mixer on low, and slowly pour hot syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture while running.
- Once you’ve added all the syrup, turn the mixer to medium-high speed, and whip until mixture is thick and lukewarm – approximately 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and cranberry powder during the last minute of whipping.
- When the marshmallow mixture becomes thick and lukewarm, dump it into the prepared pan.
- Allow to set for at least 6 hours.
- Turn over onto a powdered sugar dusted work surface, cut into squares with a knife or pizza cutter and toss marshmallows into powdered sugar to coat all sides, shake off the excess. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Feel free to use different superfood powders such as blueberry powder, cherry powder, raspberry powder, strawberry powder, etc.