May 08, 2022 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Homemade Caramel Popcorn
Everyone will love this super simple Movie Style Homemade Caramel Popcorn recipe. It is buttery, rich, and crispy and made with ingredients you probably already have in your house!
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 10 min | Total Time: 15 min | Servings: 15 cups popped popcorn
Calories: 151 | Total Fat: 10.7g | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 12.7g | Protein: 1.1g
For the popcorn:
For the caramel:
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
To make popcorn:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add popcorn kernels, elevate off stove to shake and spread corn out evenly.
- Cover with a lid. Once the popcorn starts popping in earnest, shake the pot gently once.
- Remove from heat when the popping stops and transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt.
To make caramel:
- Place sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat and stir the until sugar has dissolved. Once sugar has dissolved increase heat to high.
- At this point do not stir the mixture directly. Now and then, using the handle, give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute or so.
- After 4-5 minutes the mixture will turn to rich amber color. Be ready to use this caramel immediately, as it quickly hardens when cooled.
- Add the butter into the mixture. The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine.
- Pour caramel over popped popcorn and stir until all of the popcorn is covered.
- When cool, break the popcorn up into chunks.
- Serve immediately or keep in airtight container.