August 02, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Easy Minestrone Soup
Homemade Minestrone Soup – the perfect easy comforting meal on a chilly day. Best of all, this classic stove-top recipe is hearty & full of fresh vegetables and beans.
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 30 min | Total Time: 45 min | Servings: 8
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, about 1/3 cup, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot (about 1 cup), chopped
- 1 large celery stalk (about 1 cup), chopped
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (32 oz carton – 4 cups) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium zucchini (around 2/3 cups), sliced into halves or quarters
- 1/4 cup canned or cooked adzuki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup canned or cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup dried small shell pasta, (use gluten-free if necessary)
- Fresh parsley finely chopped
- Salt&Pepper to taste
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery and saute for about 4 minutes, or until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add basil, oregano, and thyme and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes, adzuki beans, chickpeas, bay leaf, and vegetable broth.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in the dried pasta shells and zucchini and cook for another 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked.
- Add salt and pepper as needed and fresh parsley.
- Serve warm.