July 05, 2021 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Chocolate Caramelized Buckinis
These crunchy and sweet Chocolate Caramelized Buckwheat Groats are the perfect toppings for all your sweet meals and desserts. It’s a great way to get your daily dose of fiber.
Prep Time: 16 hours | Cook Time: 8 hours | Total Time: 1 day | Servings: 3 cups
- 2 cups raw buckwheat groats
- cacao powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp mesquite powder
- a few pinches of Himalayan pink salt
- 6-8 tbsp honey or maple syrup if vegan
- Start the activation process by covering the 2 cups of buckwheat groats with water (‘Activating’ mimics natural process, releasing enzyme inhibitors so the seeds’ nutrients are more available to our bodies)
- Let soak overnight and in the morning, rinse and drain well. It will have slime on them so be sure to rinse it well.
- Fill again with water, letting soak for another 8 hours.
- Once completely sprouted, drain and rinse well again.
- Place activated buckwheat in a large bowl.
- Add all ingredients and mix very well, covering all the sprouted groats.
- Pour onto a parchment or silicone-lined baking tray and put into the oven on the lowest setting with the door slightly ajar. They should take about 8 hours to dehydrate. If you have a dehydrator, set it to 40 degrees and leave overnight.
- Once all is good and ready, use your deliciously chocolate caramelized buckinis in smoothies, yogurt, porridge, ice cream, salads, as a “cereal” and anything else you wish to have some crunch on.