July 16, 2020 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Black Eyed Peas Rainbow Salad
A healthy power greens salad packed with organic black-eyed peas and super nutrients. Easy to make and full of flavor!
Prep Time: 10 min (+8 hours for soaking) | Cook Time: 2 hours 10 min | Total Time: 2 hours 20 min | Servings: 2
- 1 cup organic black-eyed peas, cooked
- 2 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 of shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked (optional)
- Lemon juice
- Start by soaking 1 cup of peas in a pot filled with water. Let them soak for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- After soaking, rinse the peas and refill the pot with water. Add a dash of salt and simmer the peas for about 2 hours on medium heat.
- While the peas are simmering, rinse your chopped kale and cabbage.
- In a medium pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil, then add shallots, garlic, and cabbage. Sauté for 1-2 min over medium heat.
- Next, add in the kale, another tablespoon of oil, and a pinch of sea salt. Cover and let it cook for 3 to 4 min on medium heat until the greens wilt.
- Remove the pan from heat and transfer all the cooked ingredients into a large bowl.
- To this bowl, add shredded carrots, cooked quinoa (if using), cooked black-eyed peas, and a splash of lemon juice. Mix everything well.
- Season with more salt/pepper if desired. Enjoy!
This recipe adapted from Cotter Crunch