September 08, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Savory Mushroom and Walnut Bolognese
Savor the flavors of this mushroom and walnut spicy bolognese with its natural, all-plant ingredients. It offers a healthier spin on the classic Italian version, providing satisfaction without the heaviness and loads of wholesome goodness.
Prep Time 5 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Total Time 40 minutes | 6 Servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 can peeled chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes, optional
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pot or wide saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, then sauté for 2-3 min.
- Add cremini mushrooms to the mix and cook for about 6-8 min. During this time, the mushrooms will release their moisture.
- Once the mushroom mixture has dried up and is fairly dry, add all the herbs and spices.
- Add the canned peeled tomatoes and give everything a good mix.
- Allow the mixture to simmer over medium-low heat for 20 min, occasionally stirring.
- Toss in the chopped walnuts and cook for an additional 5 min.
- Remove from heat and serve with cooked pasta. Enjoy!
This recipe slightly adapted from CocoonCooks