June 02, 2021 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Salted Apricot Kernel Brittle
Buttery, crunchy, sweet and salty Apricot Kernel Brittle recipe makes homemade brittle in a few, no-fail, easy steps. Corn syrup-free and no candy thermometer needed.
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Cooling Time: 30 min | Total Time: 50 min | Servings: 8
- Butter a baking sheet; set aside.
- Stir together sugar, water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue cooking without stirring until mixture turns golden amber and smells caramelly, about 10 min (approximately 330 F, but the color plus smell is really a fine signal)
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in apricot kernels. Place back on heat very briefly until the mixture is more liquid again (kernels will cool it down). Stir in butter and baking soda (mixture will foam up), then pour out onto buttered baking sheet.
- Let cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container.