June 15, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Lithuanian Gazpacho: Cold Beet Soup
This chilled soup is perfect for summer! In Lithuanian and Polish summers, when young beets are in abundance, this beet gazpacho is a traditional favorite. It has the sweet taste of beets and the fresh, herby flavors of dill and chives. This soup dates back many ages, so it’s a tried and true way to help keep cool in summer.
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 5 min | Total Time: 35 min | Servings: 4
- 400g (14oz) boiled beetroot, finely chopped
- 400g (14oz) soy yogurt (or coconut milk kefir)
- 4 cups boiling water
- Lemon juice of one small lemon
- 4 tbsp chopped onion greens + some extra for garnish
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill + some extra for garnish
- 2 cucumbers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil beets, drain and let them cool.
- Boil water and let it cool. Mix cooled water with soy yogurt in a large pot.
- Peel and chop beets and add them to the pot with water/ yogurt mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Next add sliced green onions, dill, diced cucumbers, and lemon juice.
- Place completed soup in the fridge to let it cool completely.
- Pour chilled soup into bowls. Garnish with dill.
On the plate, next to the soup, is served steamed potatoes, topped with vegan butter, and sprinkled with plenty of dills.