October 24, 2023 · Written by Foodtolive Team
How to Make Pumpkin Seed Butter
Make your own pumpkin seed butter at home in just minutes! Enjoy the rich, nutty flavor of this wholesome, allergy-friendly spread, which makes for a perfect peanut butter alternative on your favorite snacks and meals.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 5 min | Total Time: 25 min | Servings: 1 jar (8 oz)
Calories: 65 | Total Fat: 11g | Sugars: 1g | Fiber: 2g | Protein: 5g
- 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey (optional, for sweetness)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread the raw pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast the seeds for about 5-7 min, or until they start to turn golden. Be careful not to over-roast, as this can make the butter bitter.
- Place the roasted pumpkin seeds in a food processor. Process the seeds. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed. Depending on your processor’s power, it may take 15-20 min of processing for the mixture to turn into a smooth butter.
- Add salt and sweetener, if desired. Process again to combine.
- Store your homemade pumpkin seed butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks.
- If you have roasted pumpkin seeds on hand, you can use them for this recipe. Skip the roasting step and proceed directly to blending the seeds in the food processor, following the rest of the instructions. This can save you even more time in creating your pumpkin seed butter.
Ways to Use Pumpkin Seed Butter:
- Spread on toast or crackers
- Use as a dip for apple slices or celery sticks
- Swirl into oatmeal or yogurt
- Use in baking as a substitute for other nut butters
- Incorporate into smoothies for added creaminess