April 19, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
How to Make Homemade Oat Milk
Homemade oat milk is smooth and scrumptious. Nothing will whet your appetite like homemade oat milk, and it only takes measly 5 minutes to prepare! All you are some rolled oats. You can add any syrup, maple or any other that you prefer, vanilla extracts, some salt, and any flavoring that you love the most. Mix everything with the use of an ordinary home blender and strain by using a nut milk bag. You will end up with an incredibly delectable sweet oat taste. You can drink it directly or enjoy it with frosty smoothies on a sizzling summer. You can also pour it over cereal, or put it in tea or coffee.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS WHEN PREPARING HOMEMADE OAT MILK:
- You can soak the rolled oats.
- Straining oat milk.
It is easy and fast to strain oat milk, especially if you are using a nut milk bag. It is designed to extract juice from nuts of this kind. However, if you do not have a nut milk strain, you can use any other type of strainer, for example, cheesecloth and a home sieve. Nevertheless, if you have an unrivaled love for oat milk, then you may have to invest in a nut milk bag, which works perfectly in making homemade oat milk.
- Oat milk in cereal, tea, or coffee.
The taste of oat milk in coffee or tea is out of this world. It is even tasty over cereal. You may need to heat it to make it thick and chunky. Oat milk blends perfectly with hot drinks, such as tea or coffee, especially when heated. You can store it for almost five days while refrigerated. When retrieving it from the fridge, shake it up a little to achieve an even consistency.
HOMEMADE OAT MILK RECIPE
Make your own creamy and delightful Oat Milk with just 5 simple ingredients! It takes only a few minutes to prepare and is perfect for adding to your tea or coffee or drizzling over your cereal.
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 5 min | Total Time: 10 min | Servings: 4 cups
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- a pinch salt, optional
- Start by blending all the ingredients until perfectly smooth, which takes about a minute.
- Strain it through a nut milk bag for that extra smoothness.
- Keep it in the fridge, it will remain fresh for up to 5 days. Give it a good shake before using it in your tea, coffee, or as a delightful cereal topper. Enjoy!
Pro Tips for Making Homemade Oat Milk:
- Use Rolled Oats: Rolled oats work best for making oat milk. Steel-cut oats may be too coarse, and instant oats might make the milk too starchy.
- Adjust Sweetness: You can adjust the sweetness by adding more or less maple syrup or sweetener of your choice.
- Flavor Variations: Get creative with flavorings. Try adding a dash of vanilla extract, a pinch of cinnamon, or a tablespoon of cocoa powder for flavored oat milk.
- Storage: Store your oat milk in a sealed container, airtight container, or a glass bottle in the refrigerator. Remember to shake it well before each use, as it can naturally separate.
- Reuse Oat Pulp: Don’t toss the leftover oat pulp. It can be used in baking, smoothies, or as a base for oatmeal.
- Experiment: Feel free to experiment with the oat-to-water ratio to find the consistency you like best. Some prefer thicker oat milk, while others like it more diluted.
- Avoid Over-blending: Don’t over-blend the mixture, as it can lead to a slimy texture. Blend until it’s just smooth.
- Avoid Heating: Avoid heating the oat milk directly as it can thicken. Instead, add it to hot drinks like coffee or tea separately.
- Reuse Bottles: Save glass bottles from store-bought milk or other beverages to store your homemade oat milk. They are eco-friendly and easy to clean.