September 08, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Mushroom & Walnut Spicy Bolognese
Enjoy this mushroom and walnut spicy bolognese for its natural and all plant-based ingredients that give a healthy twist from the Italian classic version. It’s very satisfying without the heavy feel and has tons of wholesome goodness.
Prep Time 5 minutes | Cook Time 35 minutes | Total Time 40 minutes | 6 Servings
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 gr. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 100 gr. walnuts, finely chopped
- 400 ml. cans peeled chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp (or more) dried chili flakes
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat up the olive oil in a pot or wide saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and cook for 6-8 minutes, during which the mushrooms will release their water.
- Once this water has completely evaporated and the mixture is fairly dry, add all the herbs and spices.
- Mix well to ensure the mushrooms are well coated with the spices.
- Add the canned peeled tomatoes and mix again.
- Allow cooking on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped walnuts and cook for an extra 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with a serving of cooked pasta (use gluten-free pasta if you are intolerant to gluten) and a sprinkle of vegan parmesan ‘cheese’!