September 17, 2020 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Top 3 Reasons Why You Should Try Spirulina | Healthiest Smoothie Ever Recipe
Despite its recent spike in popularity, Spirulina is one of the oldest life forms on Earth. When first discovered, Spirulina was classified in the plant kingdom, due to its ability of photosynthesis.
Based on a new understanding of its genetics, and biochemical properties, it was later placed in the bacteria kingdom. Spirulina is a blue-green algae that naturally thrives in mineral-rich alkaline fresh and salt waters. It grows in tiny spirals that stick together, therefore making it easy to harvest.
Before this magical algae is turned into powder, it is first dehydrated. Drying methods may vary, depending on a farm. Food to Live’s Organic Spirulina is dehydrated using the Spray-Drying technique. Also known as the Miracle from the sea, Spirulina holds a high concentration of macronutrients. Besides its astonishing color, Spirulina stands out for various reasons.
Top 3 reasons why you should try Spirulina:
- It is a plant-based source of “Complete Protein” (meaning – it contains all essential amino acids that your body needs but can’t produce on its own). Protein makes up about 60 to 70 % of Spirulina’s dry weight.
- It is packed with Antioxidants (Antioxidants are compounds that help combat cell damage). It also contains significant amounts of Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, and B Vitamins.
- Easy to incorporate into meals (smoothies, baked goods, energy balls, soups, juices, desserts, dressings). A versatile powder, which definitely deserves a place of honor on your kitchen shelf.
Spirulina Kale Smoothie Recipe
Spirulina Kale Superfood Emerald-Green smoothie is loaded with protein and vitamin C. It is an instant energy booster and oh so delicious.
2 servings | Prep Time: 5 min |Cook Time: 3 min | Total Time 8 min
- 1 Mango
- 1.5 Bananas
- 1 Orange
- A handful of fresh kale
- 1 tsp Organic Spirulina Powder
- 1 tsp Organic Canadian Hemp Seeds
- 1 cup of Almond Milk (unsweetened) or Milk of your choice
- Pre-freeze mango, bananas, orange, and kale.
- To a blender add frozen mango, banana, orange, kale, spirulina powder, hemp hearts, and almond milk. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add toppings of your choice, however for a fuller breakfast, we recommend topping with Organic Golden Crunchy Granola.