- — Raw and Vegan
- — Premium Quality
- — Cholesterol Free
- — High in Iron and Vitamins A and C
- — Contains Calcium and Iron
- — Suitable for Sirtfood diet
Goji berry — Lycium barbarum, also commonly known as the wolfberry, is a brightly colored fruit native to the Tibetan Himalayas, Mongolia, and China. Goji berries grow on evergreen shrubs that densely populate the temperate forests in Asia. This bright red berry, when raw, grows only enough to fit the size of your pinky finger’s tip. Similar to most other berries, e.g., blueberries and raspberries, the goji berry is rich in antioxidants. Lately, this fruit is often marketed as a superfood by many, and it does not come as a surprise. In a recent study, people drank goji berry juice every day for two weeks and the other that didn’t. It turned out that the group that consumed goji berry juice daily reported increased levels of:
- Quality sleep
- Athletic performance
- Overall wellness
The same people also showed improvements in their stress and fatigue levels and digestive abilities. So what is it about goji berries that make it so amazing?
The Goji Berries Nutrient Breakdown
Goji berries are an excellent source of minerals and vitamins, including antioxidants, fiber, iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, zinc. Goji berries also a healthy dose of protein. The fruit contains 8 of the nine essential amino acids, with a 4 ounce serving of goji berries fulfilling 10% of the body’s daily protein requirement.
Goji Berries – the Superfood
In addition to the above-listed nutrients and minerals, goji berries also contain phytochemicals, which include:
- Beta-carotene is essential for maintaining optimal bone health, eye health, skin health, and the development of cells.
- Polysaccharides help improve the body’s immune function by increasing antioxidant activity in it.
- Zeaxanthin contains powerful antioxidant properties that strengthen the immune system.
The Amazing Health Benefits
- Great for Your Eyes Studies show that goji berries protect the eyes from glaucoma. The wealth of healthy antioxidants found in goji berries prevents potential eye damage that can be caused by oxidative stress, UV light, free radicals.
- Regulate Blood SugarGoji berries possess the amazing ability to balance the glucose and insulin levels in the human body. It helps in stabilizing the amount of sugar released into the blood.
- Strengthen the Immune SystemThe antioxidants found in goji berries possess immune-boosting attributes that allow them to combat the destructive free radicals in the body and reduce inflammation. Goji berries have some of the highest content of vitamin C found in fruits. That, along with vitamin A, form vital building blocks for body immunity, preventing chances of illnesses that range from a common cold to the seemingly invincible cancer.
- Give You Flawless Healthy Skin
What is the essential ingredient in most skincare creams and products? It’s the beta-carotene. It alleviates signs of aging, fights sun damage, reduces irritability and skin breakouts, and improves the overall health of the skin.
Including Goji Berries in Your Diet
Goji berries are your ultimate source of vitamins and antioxidants, something even superstars like Miranda Kerr and Madonna swear. But for someone like you, who are just starting with them, the vital question remains: how to use goji berries in your diet? This frequently consumed superfood eaten raw, cooked, or in dried form. When dried whole, these super berries often resemble the texture and shape of raisins. Goji berries usually taste slightly sweet and tart, which makes them ideal ingredients for both sweet and savory foods. For those of you who have an adventurous side to them, toss in some dried goji berries in your trail mixes to keep the energy levels up for longer. You can even carry them around as a quick, healthy snack on the go.