- — Product of England
- — Lower “bad” (LDL) cholesterol
- — Help prevent vitamin deficiencies
- — A rich source of essential minerals
- — Kosher and Vegan
Nutty and pleasant in taste, poppy seeds are nutritious oilseeds used as a condiment in cooking.
Poppy, in general, is used either, in the form of whole seeds, ground or as thick or thin paste in recipes. Poppy applied to toasts, bread, seafood before they are deep-fried.
In India and Pakistan, gently fried seeds are ground to a make a thin paste, which is then added as a thickening in dips, curries, and sweet dishes. In South India, poppy seed milk is used to prepare a delicious recipe famous as couscous payasam with added milk, coconut milk, cardamom, raisins, and sugar.
In Central Europe, especially in Austria and Hungary, the seeds are used in s a favorite sweet pastry dish like Strudel and Germknodel.
The seeds are widely used in confectionery like stuffing, rolls, bagels, fresh bread, biscuits, and cakes.
Poppy Seeds Health Benefits:
- Mineral source – Poppy seeds act as a source for a variety of minerals like iodine, manganese, magnesium, zinc, and copper.
- Other essential ingredients – Poppy seeds also offer many elements, which include thiamine, riboflavin, lecithin, oxalic acid, pentosans, and amorphous alkaloid.
- Enzymes – Poppy seeds also help in enhancing enzymes like diastase, emulsion, lipase, and nuclease in the human body.
- Fatty acids – These seeds are also good sources of fatty acids, especially the omega-3 fatty acids, which are required by the human body to ensure good health. Thus, you may consume these seeds in various forms and foods to supply these acids to the body.
- Carbohydrates – Poppy seeds may also be considered as good sources of carbs, and thus, these are helpful in enhancing the level of energy supplied to a human body for routine functions.
- Digestion – Poppy seeds are also considered as useful remedies for facilitating an efficient process of metabolism in the human body.
- Seeds oil – Poppy seed oil is also used as a condiment to add flavor to different types of recipes.