March 22, 2020 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Vegan Split Pea Soup
This easy vegan split pea soup recipe is hearty, comforting, and unimpeachably wholesome.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 1 hour 15 min | Total Time: 1 hour 35 min | Servings: 4
- 2 cups dried green split peas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable stock/broth
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- Salt to taste
- Rinse split peas. Set aside.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the oil and chopped onion. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the garlic, smoked paprika, thyme, marjoram, and black pepper and sauté for an additional two minutes.
- Add the split peas and vegetable stock to the pot.
- Bring to a boil on high. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, then simmer for 60 minutes, or until the peas are tender and beginning to disintegrate.
- Add the potatoes and carrots into the soup. Bring to a simmer again. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Salt to taste. Top with croutons.