August 16, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Vegan French Toast
A quick and easy breakfast that tastes like a special treat!
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 10 min | Total time: 15 min | Servings: 3-4
- 2 tbsp of flaxseed meal
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 thickly cut slices of tougher bread*
- Vegan butter
- Maple syrup/ fruit/ coconut yoghurt/ powdered sugar
- In a large shallow dish, whisk together the ground flaxseed and milk. Let sit for 5 minutes so the flaxseed can thicken.
- Whisk milk mixture again before adding in the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk lightly until fully combined.
- Heat vegan butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly dip the slices of bread in the milk mixture so that the bread is just covered on each side but not soaked. Do not let the bread sit in the milk mixture of any amount of time.
- Cook the bread in the skillet for ~4 minutes on each side or until a nice golden brown.
- Once done, top with syrup, fruit, and a dusting of powdered sugar and. Enjoy!
*do not use fresh, soft white bread for this recipe. You can make it work for traditional french toast that has egg in it but it does not work well for this Vegan French Toast. You want slightly tougher bread that will hold up once dipped in the liquid.