December 20, 2019 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Traditional Fruit Christmas Cake
This rich, moist and boozy vegan fruit cake is perfect for the festive season.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 30 min (+8 hours for soaking) | Total Time: 50 min | Servings: 8
- 150g raisins
- 50g Medjool dates – roughly chopped
- 150g dried apricots – roughly chopped
- 100g candied peel
- 100ml rum
- 50ml of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 175g vegan butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 60ml unsweetened plant milk
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 150g coconut flour
- 40g ground almonds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Start preparing the fruit at least the day before you want to bake the cake. Mix all of the dried fruits together in a large bowl that has a lid, add the rum and lemon juice, stir well, then cover and leave overnight.
- The following day, preheat the oven to 350° (F).
- Put the ground flax seeds in a small bowl and stir in 80ml water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, coconut flour, ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Tip the dry ingredients into the butter mix, along with the flax seeds mix and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Stir in the soaked dried fruits, along with any leftover liquid.
- Scrape the batter into the tin and use a spatula to spread it level. Bake for 30 min.