Thanksgiving Meatless Loaf
The savory flavors of Thanksgiving combine to make this gluten-free, meatless loaf the perfect centerpiece of your holiday meal. Vegan and low-fat.
Prep time 20 min | Cook Time 40 min | Total time 1 hour | Servings 4-6 servings
- 2 cups green lentils, cooked (about ¾ cup dry green lentils)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp thyme
- salt&pepper to taste
- 1 cup of old-fashioned oats, divided
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup flax meal
for the glaze
- 1 tbsp organic ketchup
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and cover a baking sheet in parchment paper or foil.
- In a large saucepan, drizzle olive oil and sauté diced onion and garlic over medium-high heat until tender. Add in celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add in the sliced mushrooms, all spices, tomato paste and sauté until all the vegetables are tender (5-10 minutes), then remove from heat.
- Pour the cooked vegetables into a food processor with cooked lentils, oats, flax meal and breadcrumbs. Process for just a few seconds until the ingredients are combined, but not completely pureed. You want them to still have a chunky texture.
- Transfer the mixture to a parchment paper-lined loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- To make the glaze, combine the ketchup and mustard in a small bowl. Brush the glaze on top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf for 40 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve with fresh parsley or celery leaves. Enjoy!