April 20, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Pearl Barley with Roasted Vegetables
Pearl barley and roasted veggies come together in this tasty dish, great for a filling lunch or dinner. Enjoy the flavors!
Prep Time 30 minutes | Cook Time 40 minutes | Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes | 4 Servings
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red yellow, green or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb green beans (sub zucchini or eggplant when in season)
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350F and toast pine nuts for 6-7 min, or until toasty and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Soak pearl barley in boiling water for 1 hour.
- Add pearl barley and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and pearl barley is fluffy – about 30 min.
- Pour olive oil into a large frying pan. Add finely chopped garlic and red onion. Sauté for a few min.
- Add mushrooms, green beans, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper. Stew for about 10 min.
- Add to the vegetable pearl barley and mix well.
- Garnish with lemon juice, pine nuts, and fresh parsley. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
This recipe inspired by Tesco Real Food