April 20, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Pearl Barley with Roasted Vegetables
Pearl barley pairs perfectly with roasted veg to make this beautiful dish. Perfect lunch or dinner recipe. Enjoy!
Prep Time 30 minutes | Cook Time 40 minutes | Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes | 4 Servings
- 1 1/2 C Crimini Mushrooms destemmed and sliced, 116g
- 1 Red Yellow, Green or Orange Bell Pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 lb Green Beans (sub zucchini or eggplant when in season!), 426g
- 12 oz Cherry Tomatoes cut in 1/2, 340g
- 2 tsp Garlic minced, 6g
- 1/2 Red onion chopped, 116g
- 3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided, 36g
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 C Pearl Barley 198g
- 1 1/2 C Water 354g
For the Dressing:
- 1 Tbs Lemon juice
For the Garnish:
- Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Pine nuts, toasted
- Toast the Pine Nuts:
Preheat oven to 350F (177C) and toast pine nuts for 6-7 minutes, or until toasty and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the Pearl Barley:
Soak pearl barley in boiling water for 1 hour.
Add pearl barley and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and pearl barley is fluffy – about 30 minutes.
- Roast the Veggies:
Pour olive oil into a large frying pan. Add finely chopped garlic and red onion. To fry. Add mushrooms, green beans, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes. Salt and pepper. Stew for about 10 minutes. Add to the vegetable pearl barley and mix well.
- Garnish with lemon juice, pine nuts, and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.