September 07, 2022 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Original Italian Pizza
Here’s a recipe for real Italian pizza in your home oven! Learn how to make pizza dough using simple ingredients and create a perfect crust!
Prep Time: 40 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Total Time: 55 min | Servings: 1, 12-inch pizza
Calories: 142 | Total Fat: 2.7g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.4g | Protein: 3.5g
For the pizza dough:
- 2 cups Organic Italian Pizza Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil to coat the bowl
For the topping:
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce (try our Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce)
- 8 oz Mozzarella ball
- 1 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- Add Organic Italian Pizza Flour, salt, and sugar to a medium-sized bowl. Quickly combine the dry mixture with a whisk.
- Next, add water to mix, and use a whisk to make sure everything is mixed together.
- Do a little kneading and form a ball.
- Take a large bowl and coat it with olive oil. Add the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature for at least 30 min.
- Remove from the bowl and place on the baking tray, ensuring the base of the dough is coated with plenty of flour. Preheat your oven to 425F (215C) at this point.
- Stretch the dough. Hold the dough down with one hand, and with the other gently stretch the dough outwards.
- Keep turning the dough and repeating stretching until you have a base that is about 12 inches in diameter. Fold the edges over the crust. Use a fork to poke holes all over the center of the pizza to keep the dough from bubbling up in the oven.
- Top the base with tomato sauce and spread gently across the pizza and up to the edges.
- Spread slices of Mozzarella evenly across the pizza.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil and add basil leaves (you can add basil before or after cooking).
- Transfer the pizza into the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Cooking time will depend on how hot the oven gets. Look for a golden brown crust.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and place it on a chopping board or a plate.
- Let the pizza cool a little and enjoy!