Nutrition and Health: Are Pistachios Good for You?
If you are looking for a great snack, pistachios will be your best choice as they are absolutely delicious. This is the main reason that makes this particular snack extremely popular even among people who don’t bother with healthy eating. Pistachios nutritional value is very high, so their inclusion will definitely benefit any diet.
These nuts originate from West Asia and have been loved by people for hundreds of years. They have been an essential part of many desserts eaten by the Asian rulers of old. Today, pistachios remain an important ingredient used in a variety of dishes, especially sweets. The nuts also go well on their own and are one of the most popular beer snacks in the world.
Health Benefits of Pistachios
If you want to maintain a healthy diet, you need to have these nuts in your pantry. This will be especially beneficial for those who lead an active lifestyle as they require a lot of energy. Pistachios are one of the most nutritious kinds of nut. A single cup of them will provide you with 685 calories. Eating so many nuts in one go will definitely be easy as they are truly delicious. Considering the high calorie-count, many people wonder whether they are fattening.
The good news is that they are really not. As all other nuts, pistachios provide your body with “good” fats. Therefore, they won’t add centimeters to your waist. On the contrary, their high nutritional value will help those who are trying to lose weight. Eating just a little of the nuts will make you feel full and provide you with the energy needed to exercise and burn off the extra pounds.
Sponsored by Food to live
Health benefits of pistachios are also very important.
- These nuts are potent antioxidants. The negative influence of free radicals on your health cannot be underestimated. The process of oxidation does not only reflect on your appearance, speeding up aging, it also weakens your body as a whole and makes you vulnerable to diseases. Eating antioxidants on a regular basis is essential if you want to stay healthy and look young and attractive for many years to come.
- Pistachios are packed with vitamin E. They make your hair and nails stronger and healthier. This vitamin is responsible for maintaining the integrity of cell membranes. So eating these nuts is very beneficial for your skin.
- These small greenish kernels are a great source of minerals, especially copper, iron, manganese, and potassium. This means that they strengthen your bones and help prevent osteoporosis. 100 grams of pistachios provides you with 144% of the necessary daily dose of copper, which is an essential element that is needed for neurotransmission. Therefore, this simple snack actually promotes the health of your nervous system. Iron is extremely important for women’s health, so every girl should indulge in pistachios once in a while.
- Similar to other nuts, pistachios can lower “bad” LDL cholesterol and protect your arteries from becoming clogged.
- Some of the recent studies indicate that these nuts can help manage blood glucose levels. Therefore, they are not only safe for the people suffering from diabetes. They might help manage and even prevent this condition.
Please note that despite all of these interesting pistachios nutrition facts, you shouldn’t forget that they are nuts. Therefore, they can cause allergy. In fact, this is a common reaction to this particular food for those who is prone to food allergies in general. If you are one of these people, you should be careful when trying these nuts. Otherwise, pistachios are perfectly safe, even for pregnant women.
Culinary Uses and Storage
You can easily buy pistachios from our shop all year round. These nuts can be stored for extended periods of time, so if you prefer to buy in bulk, you are in luck. For them to remain fresh and delicious, you should keep them in a dry cool place.
Please note that shelled kernels need to be stored in a fridge. If you keep them in the pantry, they will turn rancid quickly. Getting rid of the unpleasant smell won’t be easy.
There is no such thing as “the best way to eat pistachios” because these nuts are so versatile. They possess a distinct flavor that appeals to many and can go well with various other foods. Therefore, you should experiment with various recipes to determine which of the many options you will like most.
It’s always nice to have a bag of pistachios to snack on. You can find sweetened, spiced, and salted varieties if you prefer your snacks with more flavor. However, the nuts taste good as they are.
They are perfect for desserts, and quite a few traditional Arabic sweets include them. When used for this purpose, pistachios can be roasted, crushed, or turned into a paste that can be added to creams and mixed with honey.
Sprinkling your salad with some pistachios will definitely help you make it taste very special and exotic, especially if the salad is based on fresh vegetables. Olive oil or balsamic vinegar will be the best choice of seasoning in this particular case.