October 06, 2016 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Healthy Eating: Are Chia Seeds Good for Weight Loss
Chia seeds are known as one of the healthiest foods on the planet. They are packed with many essential nutrients and provide a number of health benefits. If the question “are chia seeds good for weigh loss?” is weighing on your mind, the answer would be “definitely, YES!”. The seeds fight hunger, help stop overeating and make your body lose weight.
In Which Ways Are Chia Seeds Good for Weight Loss?
Being high in calories (486 kcal per 100 g), chia seeds are extremely helpful to anybody who wishes to get rid of their excess weight.
- They are high in protein.
Protein makes you feel full by eating less, so you don’t overeat and indulge in junk food. It also helps you make your muscles leaner, which is a good contribution to your fitness.
- They are low in carbohydrates.
A lower intake of carbohydrates in combination with higher protein consumption creates the ultimate diet structure for fat loss. The seeds contain only 12 g of carbs per ounce (about two tablespoons), which makes them a good addition to your daily ration.
- They are rich in fiber.
Consuming enough fiber daily will help you decrease bloating and other troubles with digestion, increasing the effect of your weight loss diet. The amount of fiber recommended for consumption depends on your gender and age, varying from 21 g to 38 g every day, and chia seeds have 10 g of useful dietary fiber per ounce.
- They are high in healthy fats.
This may sound paradoxical, but healthy fats can help you burn body fat. Chia seeds are good for weight loss as the fats they contain give you a sense of satiety, much like proteins.
- They are good de-stressors.
Chia seeds have a considerable amount of tryptophan (element that releases serotonin), as well as omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium that fight stress, depression, and anxiety. The connection with fat loss is that stress increases the amount of cortisol in your body, and this hormone usually causes the accumulation of fat, especially within the abdomen area.
Ways to Eat Chia Seeds
- Add a spoonful of chia seeds and some water to your oatmeal while it’s cooking for a richer taste and a higher amount of protein.
- Add some chia to your favorite morning smoothie. It will make the smoothie more useful for your body and thicker for your satiety to last longer.
- Toss in a bit of ground chia into your omelet or scrambled eggs. This will be a wonderful protein-rich breakfast.
- Make nutritious “chia pancakes” by mixing egg whites, ground or whole chia seeds, and banana puree.
- Make some chia pudding by soaking whole chia seeds in unsweetened almond milk and mixing them until you get a gel-like substance. Then add banana puree, cinnamon, cacao or anything else you like to vary the taste.
- Add some chia seeds to your berry puree or any of your favorite whipped fruits to make a sugar-free jam. It will ease your craving for sweets, which is beneficial if you want to eat healthy and lose weight.
Enrich your diet with chia seeds. They will provide you with a considerable amount of vitamins and de-stressors, as well as with proteins and fiber. All these features will help you to feel satiety for longer, avoid snacks, and lose weight.