Fried Eggplant with Rice and Tomatoes
A healthy dish that will not only satisfy your tummy but gives out remarkable nutrients such as vitamin B6, vitamin C, and flavonoids. It’s a complete meal with a velvety texture and packed with all-natural flavor.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 50 minutes | Total Time 1 hour | 4 Servings
- 2 eggplants
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley (minced)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced into 12 slices)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil (plus more as needed)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Rinse the eggplants, cut off stems and cut in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with salt liberally and set aside.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Fry the eggplant halves, two at a time, on both sides, turning about every 30 seconds, until dark golden brown.
- Add more oil as you are frying the eggplant as they tend to soak it in. You want the frying pan to have some oil on the bottom. If you see that it looks dry, it’s a good time to add a little more oil.
- Remove the eggplant from the frying pan and transfer to a baking sheet or a baking dish.
- In the same frying pan, brown the onion over medium-high heat until golden brown. Add the rice, tomato paste and stir well. Cook for another minute frequently stirring. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool down.
- Spread rice and onion mixture over the eggplant pieces, pressing down gently to make it stick.
- Top each fried eggplant half with 3 tomato slices. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.
- Transfer the eggplant into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Garnish with fresh parsley and/or coriander and serve.