January 06, 2020 · Written by Foodtolive Team
French Green Lentil Stew
This vegan French Lentil stew is packed with savory, plant-based flavor!
Prep Time: 15 min (+8 hours for soaking) | Cook Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 1 hour 15 min | Servings: 4
- 2 small red onions, cut in half and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half and sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup French green lentils, soaked
- 1/2 cup red lentils, soaked
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 sprig fresh thyme
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Add some vegetable oil to a large pot and bring to medium-low heat. Add in the sliced onions and cook down for about 15 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally until onions are soft and caramelized. Be careful not to burn your onions!
- Then, add in the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Then add in all other ingredients and simmer for about 30-45 minutes, uncovered, until lentils are fully soft.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.