March 09, 2016 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Fenugreek for Breast Milk Production: How to Use
Feeding babies with breast milk during at least 6 – 7 months after birth is crucial for building up their immunity system and protecting them against possible problems with excess weight. Unfortunately, problems with milk supply force many women to abstain from breastfeeding. Taking fenugreek for breast milk production is an effective solution to this problem that is safe for both the mother and her baby.Fenugreek seeds were highly appreciated by ancient Roman and Greek physicians, including Hippocrates, and are considered to be one of the oldest natural remedies for treating many health disorders. Along with their purely medical properties, the seeds have been used for boosting milk supply in nursing mothers. They contain certain substances that influence the work of milk ducts in most women. Numerous studies have shown a two-fold increase of the milk volume during the first two weeks of their intake. However, the first results are usually noticed within 24 – 72 hours after you start taking the seeds. What is more important, there’s no need to consume the seeds during the whole period of breastfeeding. Once you achieve the appropriate amount of milk, you can stop their consumption. The effect will last until you decide to stop lactation.
Fenugreek for Breast Milk Production: Doses, Forms & Nutrition Data
As any medicine, fenugreek seeds should be used in a proper way. Here are the facts you should know to get the most benefits they have to offer:
- The recommended dose is not more than 3.5mg per day. To determine your needs, start with smaller dosage and increase it until the breast milk supply is satisfactory for the baby. Another sign is the smell of maple syrup that will slightly emanate from your body.
- It is possible to use fenugreek seeds during relatively long periods of time without any harmful consequences for both you and the baby.
- The seeds are available in various forms, including ready-made capsules. However, the best way to consume them is in tea. In such a way, you will enlarge your intake of water, which should be increased up to 3l during the period of To make the tea, you can either boil 1tsp of seeds per 1 cup for 15 minutes or soak them overnight and then boil them in the same water for 5 to 7 minutes. Drink 3 cups a day.
- The seeds are highly nutritious. They are packed with minerals and vitamins such as phosphorus, cobalt, calcium, manganese, vitamins C, B5, and B3. They are a rich source of proteins and dietary fiber.
Possible Side Effects
Being a medicine, the seeds can cause health problems in people with certain chronic diseases. You should consult your physician before you start taking fenugreek for breast milk production if you have one of the following conditions:
The plant can lower blood glucose and cause hypoglycemia.
- Allergy on peanuts and chickpeas.
Inhaling the powder, you can get aggravation of your state.
You also need to consult a doctor if you are taking certain medicines the interaction of which with the seeds should be prevented.