Fenugreek for Breast Milk Production: How to Use
Feeding babies with breast milk during at least 6 – 7 months after birth is crucial for building up their immunity system and protecting them against possible problems with excess weight. Unfortunately, problems with milk supply force many women to abstain from breastfeeding. Taking fenugreek for breast milk production is an effective solution to this problem that is safe for both the mother and her baby.
Fenugreek for Breast Milk Production: Doses, Forms & Nutrition Data
As any medicine, fenugreek seeds should be used in a proper way. Here are the facts you should know to get the most benefits they have to offer:
- The recommended dose is not more than 3.5mg per day. To determine your needs, start with smaller dosage and increase it until the breast milk supply is satisfactory for the baby. Another sign is the smell of maple syrup that will slightly emanate from your body.
- It is possible to use fenugreek seeds during relatively long periods of time without any harmful consequences for both you and the baby.
- The seeds are available in various forms, including ready-made capsules. However, the best way to consume them is in tea. In such a way, you will enlarge your intake of water, which should be increased up to 3l during the period of To make the tea, you can either boil 1tsp of seeds per 1 cup for 15 minutes or soak them overnight and then boil them in the same water for 5 to 7 minutes. Drink 3 cups a day.
- The seeds are highly nutritious. They are packed with minerals and vitamins such as phosphorus, cobalt, calcium, manganese, vitamins C, B5, and B3. They are a rich source of proteins and dietary fiber.
Possible Side Effects
Being a medicine, the seeds can cause health problems in people with certain chronic diseases. You should consult your physician before you start taking fenugreek for breast milk production if you have one of the following conditions:
The plant can lower blood glucose and cause hypoglycemia.
- Allergy on peanuts and chickpeas.
Inhaling the powder, you can get aggravation of your state.
You also need to consult a doctor if you are taking certain medicines the interaction of which with the seeds should be prevented.