August 22, 2016 · Written by Foodtolive Team
3 Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Celery Seed Recipes
Hundreds of years ago, healers from many Eastern countries used celery seeds to treat various diseases, including gout, arthritis, and indigestion. Nowadays, we mostly use them as spice. Here is a collection of our favorite celery seed recipes:
Two-Tone Coleslaw with Celery Seed and Yogurt Dressing
This salad is both tasty and pretty. It’s easy to make and it will give you a boost of fiber and antioxidants.
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- ½ cup plain yogurt (low fat)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (light)
- 2 tablespoons onion (grated)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ large bell pepper (sliced into thin strips)
- ½ cup carrots (coarsely grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (chopped)
- Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, yogurt, celery seeds, and sugar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss so that they are coated in the seasoning.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the salad for an hour before serving.
Pickled Grapes with Celery Seed and Jicama
There is a great number of celery seed recipes for fantastic pickles. Due to its strong aroma and flavor, this spice is perfect for making any fruit or vegetable twice as tasty.
- 4 cups seedless grapes (mix green and red)
- 1 medium jicama (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 3 small chili peppers (thinly sliced)
- 1 piece of fresh ginger the size of your little finger (peeled and cut into dime-sized rounds)
- 7 cloves (whole)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric (ground)
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds (slightly crushed)
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds (bruised with a rolling pin)
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white grape juice
- 1 ½ cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
Sponsored by Food to live
- Combine vinegars, grape juice, sugar, and spices in a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil and let simmer for 3 minutes. Stir carefully until sugar dissolves completely.
- Take the saucepan from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Let cool at room temperature before refrigerating.
- Store in tightly closed containers or jars. The pickles can keep for 2-3 months.
Cucumbers Pickled with Celery and Celery Seeds
This is another one of the amazing celery seed recipes you can’t fail to love. The best thing about it is that preparing the pickles is very easy, and they can keep for 2 months.
- 8 cucumbers (sliced)
- 1 celery (sliced thinly)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- Mix onion, celery, cucumbers, and salt in a large bowl and let stand for an hour.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from the fire and let cool.
- Drain the vegetables and place them back in a bowl.
- Pour the vinegar mix over the vegetables. Cover and refrigerate.
Spices are the secret to making your vegan or vegetarian diet dishes truly delicious, so you should experiment with them to discover new flavors.