November 10, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This tasty Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a plant-based powerhouse of a lunch! Make it in advance for a party or picnic or to take along as an easy weekday lunch for work or school.
Prep Time 5 minutes | Cook Time 10 minutes | Total Time 15 minutes | 4 servings
For the salad:
- 15 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 stalks green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped shredded carrots
- 1 finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup store-bought or homemade vegan mayo
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
For the sandwich:
- sandwich bread
- arugula or romaine lettuce
- optional tomatoes and/or red onion
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas and add them to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher. You could also use a food processor.
- Chop your green onion, carrots, bell pepper.
- Add to the bowl with your chickpeas, then add mayo, yellow mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat.
- Fold in sunflower seeds.
- Pile high on bread with all your sandwich fixings or enjoy as a wrap, with crackers, on a salad, or simply dive into the bowl spoon-first – anything goes!
Pack a sandwich or salad for lunch/school or make it ahead to serve at a party or picnic. The salad will be great for approx. 4 days in the refrigerator to make it for now, or for later!