March 14, 2018 · Written by Foodtolive Team
4 interesting Couscous Recipes for Vegetarians
One of the most interesting dishes for vegetarians is Couscous. A staple in the North African diet this dish is made up of tiny grains made from steamed and dried durum wheat. This gained popularity as a great alternative to rice and pasta. Here are some interesting Couscous Recipes that Vegetarians could enjoy.
Interesting Couscous Recipes for Vegetarians
- 1/2 cup Baby peas, frozen
- 1/3 cup Flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Mint, small leaves
- 75 g Pomegranate arils
- 1 Red onion, small
- 4 cups Chicken stock, hot
- 2 1/2 cups Couscous
- 1 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 cup Pistachios
- Place the couscous in a large mixing bowl. Stir in stock, oil, lemon juice and mix well. Cover with plastic and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Soak peas in how water until thawed. Drain well.
- Remove plastic from couscous and fluff using a fork. Toss through peas, onion, pomegranate, pistachio, herbs and lemon rind.
Vegan Couscous with Lemon, Peppers and Olives
- 300 gms Couscous
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots
- 125 gms Pitted Black Olives
- 2 Red Pepper chopped
- 4 Lemons
- 1 Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Coriander fresh/chopped
- Cook the couscous according to packet instructions, fluff with a fork and keep warm.
- Heat the oil and cook the garlic and shallots until translucent. Add the chopped lemon, red pepper and olives. Stir briefly. Transfer to bowl and mix with lemon juice.
- Season well with salt and pepper, mix in the chopped coriander and carefully stir in the couscous. Leave to stand for an hour before serving.
Spicy Vegetable Couscous
- ½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup couscous
- In medium size skillet heat the oil
- Add green onions, sweet pepper, garlic, tomatoes and zucchini. Saute 5 minutes. Stir.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients, mix, cover and let stand 5 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Add the first mixture and fluff with fork.
Vegetarian Couscous with Feta
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 cup green beans, cut in pieces
- 540 ml. diced tomatoes
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 salt
- 1 ground pepper to taste
- 1 hot pepper to taste
- 1 cup medium grain wheat semolina (couscous)
- 540 ml chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint
- 1 ½ cup Canadian Feta, diced or crumbled
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic, onion, celery, pepper, and beans. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, orange juice, and stock. Bring to a boil. Season and add the hot pepper sauce.
- Add the Couscous, stir, and cover. Turn off the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes or until couscous has absorbed the liquid. Use a fork to separate the grains if necessary. Add the chickpeas, herbs, and Feta, mix well and serve. Use a little orange juice and olive oil as a dressing.